Ghoul.... ash



Join us over at the Gluten Free Homemaker for What's for Dinner Wednesday. Share your gluten free dinner ideas and pick up some new ones. It's fun, promise.

My mother, bless her fabulous heart and stove has made some of the best food I've ever tasted. Oddly enough as I grew up I never missed dairy, citrus (the smell of lemons put my mother in the hospital), nutritional yeast, whey or most pre-packaged foods. My mom cooked from scratch as she had many many more "allergies" than I could ever list here.

One of the dishes I could never recreate exactly was her goulash. I've been searching for most my adult life for a recipe similar to hers... she never writes anything down and couldn't remember how she made it, now tomatoes are a no-no for her so she has no desire to experiment for me. I however, can still taste it from so long ago and know I'm looking for, I found a very close version in this Bobby's Goulash Recipe - by Paula Dean. Very close but not quite what I was looking for.


Almost my mother's Ghoul...ash. (As I always used to call it as a child.)

Ingredients
1 pound lean ground meat
1 medium yellow onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
5 or 6 crimini mushrooms sliced
1/2 cup green bell pepper diced
1 1/2 cups water
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoon gluten free soy sauce or tamari
1 teaspoon garlic salt
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 cup dry macaroni noodles

Directions:

Brown the meat and drain the fat, add onions, mushroom, bell pepper and garlic, saute until just soft. Add water, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, italian seasoning, bay leaf, soy sauce, garlic salt, and salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Add noodles and simmer until they are al dente. Remove from heat and let sit 10 minutes. Eat and be merry. Oh, and don't forget to remove the bay leaf.

This recipe feeds 4.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha, that's funny, I made a "not my mother's lasagna!" You should check it out it's the no noodle lasagna, I have the same lament. :)This looks easy and delicious. Thanks,
Jessie

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of one of those comfort foods from childhood that I need from time-to-time. Since you've been trying CF, I won't mention how we ate this dish at my house.

Linda said...

This is what my husband calls goulash, but when I look up recipes they are often very different. I tend to just use spaghetti sauce with meat and macaroni. Maybe onions and mushrooms. Haven't made it in a while though. Thanks for the reminder.

Babyfro said...

Isn't it interesting how many names a dish can go by. When I search for goulash I don't find what I think of as goulash (as you can see, my goulash isn't the typical variety). If it tastes good I suppose it doesn't matter what it's called right? hehe.

Brian said...

This looks great! My mom used to make goulash when I was growing up but I've never made it. Your recipe looks delicious. I'll have to try it soon.

Nancy - TheSensitivePantry.com said...

This looks really good and I'm so hungry today! My mom made goulash too but we're Italian so not sure if it was really goulash or not. It was delicious. I can't eat it anymore because it has cheese in it (yeah, I know, weird, huh?). But, this is something I can eat so it will be added to my repetoire! Thanks!