Quick and tasty pork chops.

Today's Friday Foodie Fix is pork. Thank you Diane over at The W.H.O.L.E. Gang for keeping this fun little challenge going every week. If you'd like to see more pork recipes head on over and check them out.

We're not big pork fans in my house. I remember too clearly the pork chop bricks of my youth, the dinners I would have to saw at with my knife and chew for what seemed like days to swallow to "crave" pork very often in my adult life (to clarify, we didn't eat pork at my house, we raised rabbits and sheep so ate a lot of lamb and rabbit, my pork experiences did not come out of my mothers kitchen). I love bbq pork, bacon and sausage but tend to avoid most other cuts. I've slowly been reintroducing it, you see pork has changed over the years and so have many of the misnomers behind cooking it. Armed with that knowledge I purchased a large pack of really fresh chops a couple of weeks back and pre-portioned out bags for easy freezer removal. I will learn to love the chop.

I just happened to look through my refrigerator the other day and found the leftovers of an onion, a granny smith apple and a tree top 100% apple juice box. I knew what to do for Friday Foodie Fix. Having pulled a couple of pork chops out of the freezer to thaw earlier in the morning I was ready to cook them up come dinner time. This recipe isn't overly sweet, just a tad so and it really is quite tasty and so quick.


Apple and Onion "glazed" Pork Chops

Ingredients:
4 "3/4 inch" bone-in pork chops
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup apple juice (or cider)
1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar (depending on how sweet you want it
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 cup sliced tart apple (I used granny smiths)
1/2 cup sliced sweet onion
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon butter


Directions:
Season your chops with a bit of salt. Preheat a large skillet to medium high heat and drizzle oil to coat. Brown chops on both sides. Add onions, apples, brown sugar, thyme, apple juice and salt to pan. Mix up well and cover.

Once chops are done, about 7-8 minutes or until juice runs clear remove them from pan and cover to keep warm.

Add butter to pan with onions and apples and cook juices down until the sauce reaches the consistency you like. If you take it to far and you can reconstitute it by adding a little water.

Plate your chops and top with the onions and apple "glaze."

5 comments:

Heather @CeliacFamily said...

Looks great. I love pork chops with apples.

Unknown said...

Dear Babyfroo -
My name is Sonia from Spain, I have a granddaughter six years.The celiac disease was diagnosed a year and a half. We were very fortunate, she was very ill.
Now nearly seven years, a girl is happy and healthy.
It is very sad to think that 90% of people who do not have celiac diagnosis, I worry a lot.
I dedicate Celiac sprue to spread beyond our homes, but it is safe and out?

Thanks for your blog.
faithfully

Amy Green said...

Pork and apples are one of my favorite ways to make chops. I like your impromptu version - I usually brine mine overnight. It seems to come out best for me that way. I've not mastered the pork chop...maybe someday. Happy 4th!

Anonymous said...

I love pork and apples together - I like the addition of the apple juice!

thewholegang said...

Excellent! I love how you found all the ingredients right in your refrigerator. Money saving and a great meal. You rock! Thanks for sharing this on Friday Foodie Fix!