Sausage and Black Bean Soup

Walking into the pantry the other day I spotted my trusty crock pot, I love this thing. It was my mothers (don't worry, she's still around) and you can tell by the color scheme that its seen many many years. Making meals in this crock pot is always special for me, I know that my mom made many a meal for me with it and that this particular cooking vessel has sustained me much of my life. We have a bond.

So I pulled it out, its fall and this is the time of year it gets to work overtime. What would I make with it this though? With a quick peruse of the pantry I noticed I had many cans of black beans, one of my adult faves and something as a child you couldn't get me to eat. In the freezer I found we had an abundance of gluten free bratwurst and in the refrigerator I had the sad and lonely remnants of a nice bunch of celery. The boys in the house have been a little under the weather, so I decided I could make soup with what I found.

I actually really liked the flavor of the soup when all is said and done, it was hearty and with a nice piece of gluten free toast on the side I was full. My husband would have liked a smoked or spicy sausage just to add a little kick. So if you decide to try this recipe use a sausage you like the flavor of, not only will you be happier with the results, you kind of make the dish your own that way.


Sausage and Black Bean Soup

Ingredients:
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup diced onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup diced tomato
2 cloves minced garlic
2 bratwurst broken up (or 10 oz of your favorite sausage)
1 teaspoon coriander
a pinch of cayenne
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste


Add all ingredients to a crock pot and let it cook on low for 5 to 6 hours. Enjoy, I know I did.



3 comments:

Lori P said...

That sounds delicious! I'd love the sausage, but my kids may not. I'll bet I could also substitute chicken or turkey for the sausage. Thanks for the recipe!

Brian said...

Sounds delicious. I need to get more use out of my crockpot. I think I'll try this one. Thanks.

Linda said...

I really like sausage in soup. Yours looks great. Thanks for linking up.