Adopt a Gluten Free Blogger - March

It's the last day of the month. We're enjoying the beautiful weather and grilling some steaks. This month has been full of tasty treats and good company. One of the meals to grace our table (twice even) was a dish I stumbled upon Margo's blog, Off the Wheaten Path, so I decided I would adopt her for this months Adopt a Gluten Free Blogger carnival event. I really enjoy reading her blog and am probably going to be trying more of the yummy ideas she posts, but for now I just have this one, gluten free chicken enchiladas.

I have to say this dish was very easy to put together. I made it a little more difficult by making my own corn tortilla's and not using canned chicken, however the dish is set up to be super easy to prepare and quick to get in the oven. Minimal ingredients make it so you don't have a huge mess to clean up when you're done. I love how Margo is taking items that you'd likely find in your pantry and combining them to make a complicated dish easy.



We love chicken enchiladas in my house and I do make traditional ones 3 or 4 times a year, but its time consuming and a little overwhelming when I need dinner on the table fast. Margo's version is yummy and quick and will serve in a pinch or if planned ahead. It makes a full 9x9 dish so would serve 4 adults with leftovers no problem.



My husband asked me to add the recipe to my box so you know it went over well. The first time I made the dish I did it as instructed. There is something missing in the flavor profile so when I made it the second time I added a can of diced green chili's and a dash or two of hot sauce. It was better but I think that next time I'll add a couple of pureed tomatilloes as well. I guess I want it to taste more like enchilada's suisas, which I love and this recipe is lacking the "tang" I'm craving in it.

This is also a great recipe to try out for Gluten Free Wednesday!! An awesome carnival hosted by Linda over at The Gluten Free Homemaker. Check it out and throw up a recipe of your own!

6 comments:

glutenfibrofree said...

Makes me hungry just looking at it!

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

Yum! We love Mexican food. :)

Linda said...

It sounds delicious Rachel. It's just the kind of recipe my family enjoys. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Brian said...

I'll have to try this. It's right up my alley. Thanks for sharing.

gfe--gluten free easily said...

I love chicken enchilada casserole! I'll have to check out this recipe for sure. ;-)

Shirley

mrsmckracken said...

Wowee! This may be the first time I've ever been quoted by someone! Thank you for the glowing review, and also, a funny fact: The original recipe calls for a can of green chiles. You are a genius! Thanks again!

Margo