Apple Crisp

I've made many many crisps over the years. They aren't difficult, the recipes are all fairly similar to each other. This makes crisps a really quick and easy dessert to put together. 5 cups of fruit, some sugar and spice and a buttery, brown sugary topping. Yum.

Well, since going gluten free I've been trying to incorporate oats in my topping, something I always used to do with Quaker quick oats and can no longer do with my gluten free oats. Every time I tried to use my steel cut oats straight out of the package the topping would come out... gummy almost slimy, kind of like, well... oatmeal. So I decided to try something out this time around, I toasted my oats in the oven before adding them to my crumble topping mix. I put the recipe together, hopeful that I would get the results I was looking for. Not only did it work perfectly this time around but my family managed to put away this 9x9 pan of apple crisp in record time (and my husband asked me to make another the next day.)

Gluten Free Apple Crisp

Ingredients:
5 cups apples (use what you like, I leave the peels on.)
1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon sugar
dash of cinnamon
dash of nutmeg

Topping:
1/3 cup gluten free flour (your choice all purpose)
1/3 cup toasted gluten free oats
2/3 cup brown sugar (packed if you like it sweet)
4 tablespoons butter
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
dash of ground ginger

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

Mix together apples, lemon juice, granulated sugar and spices and pour into a 9x9 baking dish.

Mix up the crumble topping and spread evenly over the top of your apples.

Bake 40 to 45 minutes (apples should be bubbling away and some of that goodness should be leaking through your topping)

Remove from oven, let cool a bit. Serve it up with a bowl, a big scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and a shovel. Enjoy.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

A delightful gf apple crisp! Looks divine!!

I would serve hot custard with it!

MMMMMMMMM,..Many greets from a gf foodie from Brussels, Belgium!