Pie Party!!

Today was a busy kitchen day. I decided last minute to participate in a pie party being thrown on twitter and Facebook by baking a pie or two. Now I'm not usually big into baking but there has been a craving rolling around in my head ever since it was posted by Brian over at Fire and Salt. You see, he made crack pie a while back... around the holidays maybe and I've been wanting to make it ever since.


Crack Pie borrowed from Brian @ Fire and Salt

I'll have to admit I haven't bitten into it yet as I just ate dinner and don't have room at the moment. I do plan however for this yummy looking pie to become my victim, unwilling or no later this evening. I'll come back and update my findings after I sample.

UPDATE:
My husband and I dug into this pie later in the evening and I must say... WOW (he even left a comment below so you know this pie had something to say.) So yummy, crisp yet ooey gooey melt in your mouth good. Brown sugar, butter and oat flavors shining through making each bite delectable. This is a dangerous pie my friends and I believe is quite accurately named Crack Pie, not only for its characteristics but because one bite and you're addicted. Please make this at least once in your lives. You won't regret it.

I also decided to make a peach pie today. Fruit pies are fairly simple: five to six cups of fruit, some sugar (I used brown for this) a bit of cornstarch to help fight runniness and a dash of nutmeg. I have to say that the hardest part of a good fruit pie for me was the crust, I've since solved that issue and have a go to. I use a vinegar pastry (You can find it in Bette Hagman's The Gluten Free Gourmet, pg. 146.) and it is so yummy, it works for both sweet and savory pies. To get a little more browning I dabbed the crust with a bit of milk.

Peach Pie with a vinegar pastry crust.

2 comments:

Adam Baldwin said...

That crack pie was damn good! mmmm make it and eat it...now!

Brian said...

I'm glad you liked the crack pie. It's not a pretty pie but it tastes great. That peach pie looks amazing. Nice job on the crust.