Apple Pie.

I love pie. I used to eat pie as often as the chance arose, every variety (except pecan... don't much care for that one.) However, since going gluten free a few years back, my pie consumption has dwindled to zero. I've tried making cereal crusts, cookie crusts and various pastry crusts... and I'm just not that impressed.

After a few recipe trials I've found that my favorite pie crust is a vinegar pastry crust. I use it for both sweet and savory dishes. It's slightly flaky, has a nice texture and holds up very well. A sweet apple or cream pie tastes just as good in it as a chicken pot pie does. This is one crust I can't do without now. You can find it in Bette Hagman's The Gluten Free Gourmet, pg. 146.

I decided to make an apple pie not long ago... well, this last fall. It came out so good that I ended up making four or five of them. I just took my favorite apple pie recipe and replaced the All Purpose Flour with my favorite gluten free blend. I put a wonderful crumble on top, again following the recipe and just switching out the flour for gluten free (I prefer Bette Hagman's Four Flour Bean mix) and used the vinegar pastry crust for the bottom. I can't wait to make another. This was a very yummy pie.



Apple Pie:

1 prepared pastry crust
6-7 cups sliced peeled cooking granny smith apples
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons four flour bean mix (gf)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

In a large bowl stir together the 3/4 cup sugar, flour cinnamon and nutmeg. Add sliced apples and gently toss until coated.

Transfer apple mixture to the pastry lined pie plate and top with crumble mixture (see below)

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 50-60 minutes or until fruit is tender and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.

Crumble Topping:

1/2 cup four flour bean mix (gf)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter

Cut butter into the flour and brown sugar with a pastry blender or fork until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle on top of pie.

Note: One great thing about a gluten free crust. I've yet to get a burnt one due to how much longer it takes to brown gluten free flours.

1 comments:

Linda said...

I rarely made pies before going gluten free, but for some time now I've been thinking about making an apple pie. Yours looks delicious! Maybe I'll try Bette's pie crust recipe. It's nice to know which one works. Thanks.