Leftover chicken remade.

Photobucket

Please check out the Gluten Free Homemaker and participate in What's for dinner Wednesay?

Every once in a while I'll get a rotisserie chicken or roast a chicken myself. There's nothing like a juicy tender piece of roast chicken with crispy skin seasoned just right for dinner. Maybe even two dinners in a row... three nights is just to much however.

So when I'm looking to remake roasted chicken on a second or third night I have a few go-to's. Chicken noodle soup is one. I'm a soup person and can eat it all year round. Having leftover meat on a bird and Tinkyada noodles makes this easy. I almost always have the carrots, celery, onion, garlic and frozen peas (they are a staple in my fridge/freezer,) and bouillon or broth. This is a meal that makes my family happy and I love to serve it.

Another meal I like to make with leftover chicken is pot pie. I use a vinegar pastry (You can find it in Bette Hagman's The Gluten Free Gourmet, pg. 146.)and it is so yummy. I also use her cream of soup base for making the sauce once I've sauteed all my vegetables up.

A third option for me, and certainly not the last is another recipe I found on allrecipes.com. I've only made a couple of changes to the original as it's a gluten free recipe from the start.



Terri's Chicken Carcass Stew

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 1/2 cups shredded, cooked chicken meat
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 (15 ounce) can ranch-style beans
  • 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 pinch dried oregano
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons dry potato flakes
  • Salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

  1. Place chicken, onion, tomatoes, undrained pinto beans, green chili peppers, oregano, chili powder and pepper into a slow cooker. Add enough chicken broth to cover ingredients and cook on low for 6 hours. An hour prior to serving add potato flakes and let thicken.
  2. I like to cook this on the stove top rather than the crockpot I find it helps thicken it up a bit as I can simmer it down if needed. It tastes fine from the crockpot but is much more like a soup than a stew. I also removed the hominy from the recipe as my family doesn't care for it.

5 comments:

JoAnn said...

Chicken stew sounds soooo good! I tend to make stew rather than soup because I like it thick and chunky. I like Rachel Ray's word for it: stoup! :)

The Gluten-Free 'Dish' said...

I'm a soup girl, too! Somehow it just satisfies me. This recipe looks delicious! ~Debbie

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love how far you can stretch a roasted chicken. The ultimate frugal food.

Linda said...

I love using leftover chicken too. Only I have to actually roast two chickens the first night. We don't quite eat a whole one, but more than half. Soup and pot pie are ones I've made recently, but the stew recipe is a new one for me. Thanks for the idea.

Linda said...

Rachel, I tagged you in a post, if you don't do it, I won't mind a bit.

http://www.glutenfreehomemaker.com/2009/03/7-things-you-may-not-know-about-me.html