Some darn yummy chicken.


One of my favorite recipe sites is allrecipes.com and I find myself there a couple of times a week looking through recipes and trying to find some that are easily converted to be gluten free. There is always so much to look at, beautiful pictures, fabulous feedback from people who have tried the recipes and a great interface. I pass the site on to anybody I talk to as a great resource for online inspiration.

One creative battle I always seem to be fighting is that of finding a new way to serve chicken. So one day while I was traipsing around on allrecipes.com I found this little beauty. It has mushrooms, it has garlic, it has balsamic vinegar. Thinking about it makes my mouth water... slightly tangy with an earthy quality that just hits the spot each time I serve it.

I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I do and if you need a little chicken inspiration maybe you've just found it.



Chicken Breasts with Balsamic Vinegar and Garlic (slightly modified)
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 tablespoon butter

DIRECTIONS

  1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Clean mushrooms. Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat and saute the chicken until it is nicely browned on one side (about 3 minutes).
  2. Add the garlic. Turn the chicken breasts and scatter the mushrooms over them. Continue frying, shaking the skillet and stirring the mushrooms. Cook for about 3 minutes, then add the vinegar, broth, bay leaf and thyme. Cover tightly and simmer over medium low heat for 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
  3. Transfer the chicken to a warm serving platter and cover with foil. Set aside. Continue simmering the sauce, uncovered, over medium high heat for about 7 minutes. Swirl in the butter or margarine and discard the bay leaf. Pour this mushroom sauce mixture over the chicken and serve.

7 comments:

Linda said...

That does sound darn yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

Linda said...

My family has been so picky about vinegar in dishes that I haven't made this, but I think it would be good even without the vinegar. Hubby would pick off the mushrooms of course, but I love mushrooms and chicken. Thanks for sharing it.

Jen said...

Your photo was the first thing that caught my eye! It looks delicious! I love balsamic vinegar and mushrooms so I think this is a good recipe for me.

Thanks! Love your blog.

Diane-The WHOLE Gang said...

Yum, this looks really good. For some reason we don't eat chicken very often around here. Need to get on that and work on making this dish. I can imagine how good it tastes.

Amy Green said...

We love mushrooms...we eat them in everything. I haven't tried any with balsamic since a MAJOR cooking bomb on my part...dish was totally inedible. Hubby ate chips & dip. Your version looks simple enough - I'm putting it on our menu this week.

Brian said...

I will literally try just about anything. I was raised to "try at least one bite" by my mother. My wife on the other hand, in addition to being GF, does not like mushrooms, balsalmic vinegar, most other vegetables, etc. etc. Gluten Free + Picky = Poor selection of things to eat. Your chicken dish looks and sounds great.Unfortunately, I probably won't get a chance to try it, unless I make it for a party of one.

Babyfro said...

Haha, Brian that's too funny.