Cold Quinoa Salad

This weeks Friday Foodie Fix food is quinoa. Head on over to The W.H.O.L.E Gang to participate and get links to other great meals ideas using quinoa.

I honestly haven't used it much, in fact maybe 3 or 4 times and always to make this dish, a dish my mother used to make with cous cous. I do plan on venturing out into the brave bold world of quinoa cooking and experimentation, just haven't done it yet.

This salad isn't magical, it isn't legendary. It does taste good and it's very easy to make, I crave it just as I still crave the now very bad for me version my mother used to make. There are different versions of the quinoa salad up on Friday Foodie Fix, see which one fits your tastes best or experiment with your own flavor combination's.


Cold Quinoa Salad

1 cup prepared quinoa, chilled (follow directions on your quinoa package)
1 medium tomato diced
1 diced spring onion (or 1/3 cup sweet onion)
1/2 cup fresh sweet corn (frozen works too)
1/2 cup diced cucumber
1/4 cup diced red pepper
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped
1/2 cup of your favorite vinaigrette style dressing (you might need more depending on how strong you want it to taste)

Mix all the ingredients together, gently. Serve chilled.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Recipes don't have to be unique, complicated, or legendary to satisfy. We love our version of this salad and eat it all summer with grilled chicken or fish.

Babyfro said...

I completely agree!! Thanks Wendy.

Linda said...

I haven't tried quinoa in a salad yet, but this sounds like a great recipe to try.

Diane-The WHOLE Gang said...

Your salad looks great. I like how the quinoa is the main star in the salad. I often have to hide it in a dish around my house. Thank you for sharing this on Friday Foodie Fix.

CeliacsTips said...

Your recipe looks effortless and easy. Looking forward to trying this gluten-free recipe.

Heather said...

This looks great. I wonder if my kids would be more interested to try quinoa cold (with their favorite sweet corn!). Might have to try it on them. Yum!

gfe--gluten free easily said...

The sweet corn is a great addition. There's a frozen sweet corn I've been using lately that would really make this dish "pop"!

Thanks so much for the idea and recipe, Rachel!

Shirley

Cinde said...

This looks so perfect as a light summer meal! I would like to try making this with veggies from my garden.

I would still like very much to exchange blog links on each other's sites. Please e-mail me at createwithme@clearwire.net if you are interested. :)

Cheers!
Cinde
http://www.glutenfreetasteofhome.blogspot.com/