Let appreciation reign.


A little while back Linda at the Gluten Free Homemaker (a blog I have the pleasure of reading and even participating in on Wednesday’s for What’s for Dinner Wednesday) nominated me for an Attitude of Gratitude Award. After a recent turn of events I now feel like I can pay it forward.

Most of my life I’ve lived somewhat uncomfortably and thought it was normal. As a child, I was told I was lactose intolerant and because I was young and didn’t really care to take the things I adored, such as cheese, ice cream and chocolate out of my diet, I chose to live with the discomfort and appreciate the flavors that did me harm.

As I hit my teenage years however, and spent more time away from home the discomfort also became emotional rather than just physical. It was no fun having to make sure I was never far from a bathroom and then having to make sure that I was the only person in it for fear of being teased about my protesting digestive system. So I cut dairy products out. To my dismay my problems didn’t cease. I still had the bend you in half stomach because there’s an alien trying to escape stomach pains and run to the bathroom because I’m going to explode right after I ate symptoms. So I started eating dairy again, if I was going to be miserable anyway, I was going to enjoy some ice cream while I did it.

Fast forward to my early 20’s… my symptoms only seemed to progress, evolve as I aged. An upset stomach morphed into unbearable digestive cramps, cramps that had me writhing on the floor in pain. I couldn’t remember what it was to have a regular bowel movement it had been so long let alone what it was like to not worry about how much time I had to get to a bathroom after I ate. I had gained an uncomfortable amount of weight, weight that no matter how much I worked out or watched what I ate would not come off. Fatigue, I had no energy to speak of, no motivation and I always felt in a fog. My skin started to show welts, not quite rash like and infrequent but I knew it was just another symptom, and then the headaches started, awful thought crushing headaches that sent me to bed and weren’t relieved with medication.

This is where I stumbled upon a book, a book called the False Fat Diet. In this book I learned about the major allergens, one I’d never heard of, wheat. I also learned of the elimination diet, a painless way to find out which food was at the root of the issue. I started with wheat since it seemed so absurd. I learned that it wasn’t. Within a couple of weeks I was feeling like a completely different person. I had lost 15 lbs of water weight, my headaches were gone, I was thinking more clearly and not running to the bathroom or clutching my stomach in pain after every meal.

I thank the day I read that book often. Why am I appreciative, because once again I face leaving dairy behind. I’m on an elimination diet, this time for casein. The last 26 months I’ve had terrible hives, the last 10 months I’ve been dealing with a spasmatic esophagus, I’ve been foggy, tired, a little bit of an emotional roller coaster. The Dr.’s can’t seem to come to a conclusion as to the cause of my symptoms so I’m taking it into my own hands once more.

I appreciate that I have a wonderful husband who eats whatever I put on the table and just wants me to be healthy and happy again. I appreciate my son, my beautiful two year old bundle of giggling joy that brings light to every day. And while I can’t enjoy my favorite gorgonzola alfredo at Olive Garden anymore and Dunkin Doughnuts is completely off limits for me… oh how I love a hot glazed doughnut, I appreciate that I’ve come to love my kitchen and to enjoy what I can eat, delicious food that doesn’t poison my body.

My Nominations... in no particular order the blogs that I think show an attitude of gratitude.

  • Diane at The W.H.O.L.E. Gang - This woman is spectacular. I can picture her blogging with a smile on her face, sharing her love for food with the rest of us. She's a gluten free food coach making healthy organic food. Check out her Friday Foodie Fix for some fun.
  • Brian at Fire and Salt - A funny guy cooking up gluten free goodness for his wife with a sense of humor.
  • Amy at The Savvy Celiac - If you want gluten free news and insight head over here.
  • Shauna at Gluten Free Girl - The very first gluten free blog I started reading, she takes heart in every breath she takes and you can feel it in every word she writes.
  • Sally at Aprovechar - I stumbled upon this blog the other day. Inspiring and well written. This lady can't eat much it seems but has so much to share all the same. Enjoy what she writes, I do.
  • Nancy at The Sensitive Pantry - Dealing with multiple sensitivities she makes the most of it. Sharing recipes, and making them her own.
There are no rules, but if you've been mentioned and have the time please pay the tribute forward. If you choose to then here are some guidelines.
  • put the logo on your blog or post
  • nominate at bloggers that show an attitude of gratitude
  • link to your nominees within your post
  • comment on their blogs to let them know they've received this award
  • share the love and link to this post and the person who nominated you for the award
  • tell us how you've come to have an attitude of gratitude



4 comments:

Brian said...

Thank you for thinking of me for this. It's very nice of you. I hope you start feeling better, even if it means removing dairy from your diet.

Nancy said...

Many heartfelt thanks for the nomination! I wish you the very best in your journey toward better health and a fulfilled life. I know how tough it is to give up so many foods but I also know it's worse to feel poorly. Hang in -- it gets easier! And, I extend a hand of friendship - please feel free to reach out anytime. We're all moving down the same path.

erin rogers pickering said...

Beautiful blog. I wish you luck finding & eliminating the evil from your diet. I learned about gluten thru an elimination diet too - best thing that ever happened to me.
good luck!

Diane-The WHOLE Gang said...

Thank you so much for your kind words and sharing your story. I have passed along this award and hope they enjoy it as much as I do. Thank you. http://thewholegang.typepad.com/blog/2009/05/an-attitude-of-gratitude.html#more