Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp



Once again it's Friday Foodie Fix. This time around it's strawberries. Unfortunately my toddler is unable to eat these delicious little morsels and so I find I don't use them in my house very often. He's had them before and knows how much he likes them, so it's a bit of a tease if I have them out and can't give him any.

I knew exactly what I wanted to do with these little red rubies, you see I visited my sister last weekend up in Skagit County. What did I find, she had a very large rhubarb plant ripe for the picking in her backyard. Mmmm. An interesting fact about rhubarb, color does not indicate readiness or sweetness, so this lonely plant she was leaving be because it was still pretty green was actually very ready for harvesting.



I bet you can guess now what I chose to make today, Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp. I made my toddler a simple rhubarb crisp so he wouldn't feel left out when we sit down for dessert later, I'm sure he would have been plenty happy with the vanilla bean ice cream we'll have with it as well. This is a fairly simple rendition of a classic dish, gluten free of course. I tasted it, it's yummy. Enjoy.


Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

Ingredients:
3 cups sliced strawberries
2 cups sliced rhubarb
3-4 tablespoons granulated sugar (depending on how sweet your tooth is.)
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup all purpose gluten free flour
A dash each, ground cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger
1/4 cup butter

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Place strawberries and rhubarb in a square 9x9 baking dish and mix with granulated sugar.

In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, spices and cut butter in until it forms a crumble. Sprinkle topping over fruit and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until bubbly and slightly golden.

Serve with ice cream or alone, trust me... it's tasty.

9 comments:

Gina said...

Oh, I love rhubarb! I find that crisps do really well gluten-free. Thanks for making my mouth water just looking at the screen! I think I'm going to plant some rhubarb now.

thewholegang said...

Ok, Rubrarb is something I've never tried and after reading this I'm wondering why. This sounds great. Thanks for sharing it on Friday Foodie Fix!

Babyfro said...

I LOVE rhubarb. I used to eat it as a child, just dipped the end in sugar and would bite a piece off. Don't do that now of course, but strawberry rhubarb and plain ol' rhubarb crisps are some of my favorites. You really should try it, it's tart so make sure you use a little extra sugar to compensate.

Linda said...

I used to eat rhubarb as a kid also. I just munched on a plain stick of it! I haven't had any in a long time and this recipe looks soooo delicious. Thanks for the idea!

gfe--gluten free easily said...

I didn't even know what rhubarb looked like--what a surprise! Your crisp looks great and how sweet that your toddler got a special smaller version. :-)

Shirley

Elana said...

That looks scrumptious! And so easy to make as well.

Jessica said...

I just made this last night for my father-in-law's birthday. It was a hit. Thanks for the easy, delicious recipe!

draoife said...

A perfect recipe for the simple ingredients I have at home! From one gluten-intolerant to another, I thank you!

Anonymous said...

Never tried anything with rhubarb, you saved me because hubby has a craving for rhubarb and now I can surprise him with this simple recipe, looks yummy!