A slightly sweet twist.


Come join us over at the Gluten Free Homemaker's blog for What's for Dinner Wednesday. A gluten free blog carnival to help fuel your what's for dinner brainstorm.

This last year I discovered a recipe for pork roast, a recipe that I was actually very unsure of trying. You see, I think my roasts should be savory, who ever heard of a sweet roast. Brown sugar, applesauce, cinnamon... PORK! It just couldn't taste right. However, I also like to try new preparations for old favorites. My husband loves a slightly sweet twist to things, so I decided to give it a go. I'm happy I did.

This has been adjusted from the original recipe, which was already gluten free. However I cut back on a few ingredients and changed the cooking method.



Pork Roast with Brown Sugar and Applesauce (adapted)

Ingredients:
2 lb boneless pork roast
1 single serving all natural applesauce
Dash of cinnamon (more or less to taste)
1/2 cup light brown sugar (lightly packed)
1 1/2 teaspoons ginger (I use freshly grated)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees

In a small bowl, mix applesauce, brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger.

Place roast in a casserole dish, pour applesauce mixture over top of the roast and put the lid on the dish. Place in the oven for an hour (or until done when temped.)

Serve.

7 comments:

Diane-thewholegang said...

Yum! I have some pork chops for dinner tonight, I might have to give them a little of your toppings!

Heather @CeliacFamily said...

I love that this is so quick to prepare! I will have to add this to my menu next week.

Anonymous said...

I bet my boys would go for this. I added apricot jam to my last pork roast.

Linda said...

I had something similar recently and it was very good. I'm glad you decided to try something different. It paid off!

Gina said...

I am also a sceptic when it comes to sweetened dishes that should have been savory (in my mind). Every once in a while I come across one that I like in spite of everything. I think pork can occasionally handle a sweet treatment. Thanks for the idea!

JoAnn said...

Sounds great! I definitely like the idea of pork roast with sweet overtones....yum!

Brian said...

Great idea! This looks great and easy to make. Thanks for sharing.