Light and easy = Egg drop soup



Head over to the Gluten Free Homemaker for What's for Dinner Wednesday, a gluten free food blog carnival where you can find many great gluten free meal/dessert/food ideas.

I was sad last week that I was unable to participate in the weekly What's for Dinner Wednesday blog carnival. I unfortunately was having a really great time in Disneyland. So there was no way I planned on missing this week. However, being away and having a great time celebrating my first 30 years left me with a lot of catching up to do on the home front.

This week I decided to do something quick and easy and that for some reason I've been craving a few times a week. Egg Drop Soup. There are many variations of this dish, but they are all pretty simple. The one I'm sharing with you is for a single serving (usually I'm making myself lunch after I put the little man down for his nap). It's perfect for those days when I'm not terribly hungry and I need something light. Not to mention having very few ingredients I can make this when I have virtually nothing in the fridge.


Egg Drop Soup

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups really good chicken broth (Its important to use a high quality good flavored broth as the majority of this soups flavor comes from it.)
2 Tablespoons finely chopped water chestnuts (optional)
Small handful of frozen peas
1 Tablespoon +/- sliced green onions
1 Egg, well beaten
A dash or two gluten free soy sauce or tamari
Pinch of parsley flakes (mostly for color, hehe.)

Directions:
Bring chicken broth to a medium boil. Add onions, soy sauce, water chestnuts, and parsley. Slowly pour in beaten egg while stirring broth in one direction... say clockwise, slowly. Egg should cook pretty much on contact with the broth. Add frozen peas and remove from heat. Salt and pepper to taste if needed. Serve

4 comments:

Linda said...

I really like egg drop soup, but haven't made it in a while. I actually forgot about it. It's a great lunch idea. Thanks!

Sounds like you have a great sister.

Brian said...

Great lunch idea. I've never made egg drop soup before. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Gina said...

I've always wondered how egg drop soup was done. Thanks!

Velvet Liedkie said...

usually, i'm a bad girl and i eat it at the Chinese restaurant but i can't get over the soup packets in the store that say, "contains wheat". So needless to say, I'm craving the soup, and you are my hero!I can go through life eating the soup and not feeling guilty. thank you! I was always wondering how to make it.