Mmm Mmmm Berry Pie!!

This weeks Friday Foodie Fix is Blueberries. I love that Diane over at The W.H.O.L.E Gang puts this together every week. It's so fun to pick an ingredient and go with it. I try to make something I haven't before every week which is sometimes easier said than done.

This week I got strawberries in my CSA box, not a lot of strawberries, but a few. I just happened to have a lot of blueberries in the freezer as well as some pie dough... I didn't have to think very hard to decide what I wanted to make. Pie. I had just over 5 cups of fruit which is just perfect for a pie. Now, this is a first try... so not as pretty as I would like, however its more than tasty enough for me to share with you. The recipe is an easy one as well... most berry/fruit pies are pretty standard.



Blueberry/Strawberry Pie.

Ingredients:
1 gluten free pie crust recipe (I use a vinegar pastry crust by Bette Hagman)
3 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
2 cups strawberries quartered
1/2 cup granulated sugar (more or less depending on how sweet your berries are.)
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
Zest of 1 lemon.

Directions:
Pre-heat your oven to 375.

Prepare your pie crust in a 9" pan. (I always have a little extra which is what I used to make that lattice, if you don't than you can have two crusts ready)

Gently mix berries with sugar, cornstarch and lemon zest. If you've used frozen fruit let it thaw for 30 minutes or so.

Pour the fruit mix into the pie crust and top. You can make a lattice top like I did, or use a second pie crust and cover the pie. If you do this make sure to cut slits in the crust. You can also make a crumble topping which you can find the recipe for here.

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is browned slightly and filling is bubbly. Let cool and gobble.


3 comments:

Diane-The WHOLE Gang said...

Wow, I'll be right over. I'm working on a blueberry ice cream with coconut milk. If it turns out let's get them together. Thanks for sharing this on Friday Foodie Fix and always including a link. You're the best!

Linda said...

Looks delicious. I need to try that pie crust recipe.

Amy Green said...

For a first try I'd have to say that your pie looks incredible. :) Pies can be tricky. I've not tried any since I stopped eating sugar & gluten. Might have to give it a whirl, though.