Adopt a Gluten Free Blogger - September

This month I decided to adopt a gluten free blogger who tempts my tastebuds often with wonderful stories, great ingredients and beautiful pictures. Nancy at The Sensitive Pantry has just the right touch when it comes to sharing her gluten free recipes and ideas. I love going to her blog just to see what the latest creation is and tempting myself beyond reason at times... those blondies look delicious. Nancy, keep on doing what you're doing.

Recently Nancy shared a recipe that I decided to just dig my heels in and try. For one, I've never ever eaten it or one of the ingredients before and two, that means I've never tried to make it before either. Caramelized onion and fennel risotto. We love caramelized onions in my house, almost every time we grill up a steak I'll be caramelizing some onions to serve right on top of it which made this recipe very tempting to try and before making this recipe I'd never tasted fennel, its a very interesting vegetable.

Nancy gave great instructions for both the stove top method of cooking this and the oven baking method. I went with the stove top. Due to the well written directions I was able to produce a, what I hope was, very authentic risotto. It was creamy, had just the right tooth feel and ended up extremely tasty. Nancy has a great flavor combo here and she was right, caramelizing the fennel took the anise flavor right out of it. I must say that the addition of parmesan cheese is what made the dish for me, the risotto took really well to the sharp, saltiness of the cheese.

I can't wait to make risotto again, and try all the many wonderful flavor combinations there are out there for this deliciously creamy and hearty dish.


Caramelized Onion and Fennel Risotto

5 comments:

Nancy - TheSensitivePantry.com said...

Rachel - many thanks for the kind words. More important, I love sharing recipes and I'm thrilled when someone tries one and is successful. Your risotto looks delicious! I hope this is the first of many risotto dishes for you.

Nancy

Rachel said...

You had me at Caramelized Onions, but the Fennel gave me goosebumps. This was a great recipe to adopt. Looking forward to the Adopt a GF Blogger roundup!

Brian said...

The rissoto looks delicious. I'm a big fan of carmelized onions as well.

Kalinda said...

I <3 risotto. I've never thought to add fennel before. Thanks for bringing the recipe to my attention.

Heather @CeliacFamily said...

Good for you for trying something so totally new to you. That's what's so great about the gluten-free blogging community. You can try new foods and recipes without having to adjust the recipes to be gluten-free. It looks great!