Nice hot chili for a cold cold day.


Come join us over at the Gluten Free Homemaker for the What can I eat that's Gluten Free, hosted every Wednesday by Linda. You'll always find some really fun ideas and meet new people. Thank you Linda for keeping this wonderful even going every week.

One of my favorite hot meals to eat when it gets to freezing temperatures, which it has been doing a lot around here is chili. I don't mean chili out of a can, nor do I mean chili that I had to slave over all day long. I like a good tasting chili that is fairly quick and easy to put together. Simple ingredients and just a little bit of my time make for the best meals most nights.

My family has decided of all the chili's I make, aside from Chicken Smoosh (which I don't really consider a chili, although it is close) is the recipe I'll share below. I've been making it for years, sometimes in the crockpot and sometimes on the stovetop it all depends on what time of day I decide to take the meat out of the freezer. Feel free to change up the beans, sometimes I use black beans instead of pinto or kidney, all depends on what I have in the pantry.


Really Good Chili
Really Good Chili

Ingredients:
1 lb ground meat (your choice)
1 cup diced onion
1/3 cup diced celery
1 small can diced green chilis
3 fresh roma tomatoes diced (if they are good and in season) OR 1 - 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 - 15 oz can pinto beans (with liquid)
1 - 15 oz can kidney beans (with liquid)
1 - 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 Tablespoons chili powder
2/3 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water

Directions:
Crockpot - Brown meat in a skillet and drain, add to crockpot with all the other ingredients, give it a good stir and cook 6 hours on low.

Stovetop - Brown meat and drain, add onions and celery and cook until translucent, add chilis, tomatoes, beans with liquid, tomato sauce and spices. Let simmer 45 min to an hour.

Serve with sour cream, cheddar cheese and tortilla chips if you like and enjoy!!




2 comments:

Linda said...

Chili is great for cold weather. I like being able to adjust the meat and beans. If we're low on meat, I add more beans. Or, I can make it more meaty if I want. This sounds like a great recipe. Thanks for linking up.

Brian said...

Chili is the perfect cold weather meal. This just reminds me that I need to make it again since it is so bitterly cold around here. Thanks for stopping by to enter my giveaway. Take care.