Chicken Smoosh

Photobucket

A few months back my neighbor invited me over for dinner, it was very last minute. Last minute meals out almost never go well for me, eating gluten free and not at home requires planning and and generally some mild coaching, "Yes that's ok, no... that has wheat in it." I accepted and decided to make the most of it, after all Adam was traveling and I would be cooking for one if I declined, something I tend not to enjoy.

I walked out my front door and the 100 feet or so to her front door. The family greeted me, 2 wild little boys running around screaming. I've since come to learn that they love company of any sort. It felt good to have company and the prospect of sitting at a table with people instead of at mine alone was pleasant. We all sat down, bowls were passed out, spoons, and glasses.

"I hope you can eat this," she said. "I talked to Jennifer (another neighbor,) and she told me you can't have wheat so this is what I came up with."

"I'm sure it'll be fine," I replied with a smile. I was amazed that she knew of my dietary needs and had actually tried to meet them.

The dish she prepared was simple, crock pot magic. It was like a chili but it wasn't. It was very hearty and could stand on it's own, something I knew I would like to make at home. I asked her what was in it and she gave me a rough accounting, no wheat. I could eat. We talked, the boys misbehaved and the evening was enjoyed.

A few weeks later I decided I would try and recreate the dish for Adam. Once a week I try and do something in the crock pot. It's easy and there's usually enough for leftovers, a lifesaving trait for those nights I just don't feel like cooking or we're in a time crunch. I couldn't find an exact recipe on the internet so I took a couple of different ones and used them for a starting block. Here's the end result, named by my husband who is fond of the dish and feeling playful the night he ate it.

Chicken Smoosh:



2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cubed
1 - meduim onion diced
1 - 4 oz can diced green chiles
1 - 15 oz can black beans
1 - 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 - 6 oz can tomato paste
15 oz sweet corn (canned or frozen)
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chile powder
Salt to taste

Directions

  1. Add all ingredients to a crock pot/slow cooker. Cook on low 5-6 hours. Top with cheddar cheese or sour cream and a side of tortilla chips if you like and serve. Makes 4-6 servings.

4 comments:

Linda said...

What a great experience for you! This dish looks good. I haven't been using my crockpot much lately. A new recipe is just what I need to get me using it again. I love the name!

thewholegang said...

I love crockpot meals especially gluten free ones. These are items always on hand. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Cute name! I totally know what you mean about planning, I'm really no good at cooking if it's not thought out-taquito's every time!

Diane-The WHOLE Gang said...

Oh I like this recipe. I'm glad you shared it on Friday Foodie Fix!!