Doubly Chocolate Cookies

I LOVE Chocolate, I could eat it everyday. I especially love dark chocolate. Luckily it's one of the few things that I can be fairly sure is gluten free, so safe to eat. I've found a cookie recipe that when adapted to be gluten free is just what I need. It's a nice soft cookie, somewhat dense like a brownie, and has terrific flavor. I prefer them well cooled instead of slightly warm out of the oven, but that's how I like most of my cookies. My father who loves brownies asks for this cookie regularly, and it's one of the only chocolate cookies my lactose intolerant mother can eat (butter doesn't bug her and I use dark chocolate so no milk.)

I've tried making this recipe with a few different flours and a sweet rice flour/all purpose combo seems to work best. It helps the cookies hold their shape without having to add extra flour for omitting nuts from the original recipe.

So if you love chocolate as much as I do, and crave a cookie, try this recipe. It's the holiday season, I have a feeling Santa will be getting some of these under the tree this year. I'm sure he loves chocolate as much as I do.



Doubly Chocolate Cookies

8 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate
10-12oz dark chocolate chips (just because you can)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup softened butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup flour (I use 1/4 cup sweet rice flour and 1/4 cup GF all purpose.)
1/4 tsp baking powder
(You can add nuts if you like, I prefer no nuts... 1 cups if you choose to and reduce the chips to 8 oz. instead of a full package.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Put the semi-sweet chocolate in a microwaveable bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute. Stir until completely melted.

Add sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla; stir until well blended. Add flour and baking powder mix, well and then stir in your chocolate chips and/or nuts.

Let the batter hang out for 10 minutes or so. It'll thicken up a bit and be much easier to place on your cookie sheet. Drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake 10-12 minutes (I find 11 is perfect for my oven) or until puffed and shiny looking.

Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Those look delicious. I'm glad you found me so I could find you!

thewholegang said...

I love chocolate. I'll go anywhere for a good piece of gluten free, dairy free chocolate. Now I might even bake for it. Looks delicious! Thank you for participating in Friday Foodie Fix.

Heather @CeliacFamily.com said...

Love your addition to Friday's Foodie Fix. These look fabulous, and are making me crave chocolate. I think I'll have to make cookies tomorrow before I get to the carrot cake. :o)