Baked Cavatelli


Join us for What's for Dinner Wednesday over at the Gluten Free Homemaker. We love sharing dinner ideas, whether it be side dishes, main courses or dessert. Share your ideas too, the more the merrier.

Last week I thought I would try to make a dish called baked cavatelli, I don't know why it's called that, but I made it. It was very very easy and oddly enough tasted a lot like lasagna, a very easy to put together version of it. Tasted great and made quite a bit of food.

I've learned that sometimes easier is better. I had all these ingredients on hand which also made it handy.

Baked Cavatelli:

Boil up 2 cups gluten free noodles, I like spiral noodles or macaroni noodles for my baked dishes. Drain.

While the pasta is cooking, in a separate bowl grate 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese and a jars worth of red pasta sauce (your choice.) Add the drained noodles and mix gently.

Saute some onions, italian sausage and mushrooms until tender (Make up as much as you like, you're eating this dish so adjust it to your taste,) and then add to the noodles and sauce, again mix gently.

Pour mixture into a casserole dish and bake at 350 until heated through and a bit bubbly. Add a bit of mozzarella to the top and return to the oven until melted. Serve.


4 comments:

Heather @CeliacFamily said...

This looks great. I don't make lasagna very often mostly because it takes so long to put together. But my husband loves it. This may be a nice compromise of time without compromising the taste. Thanks!

Linda said...

This sounds great. It's a lot like my pizza casserole. Thanks.

thewholegang said...

I don't often miss cheese but this is making me. I love it.

Gina said...

Great idea - it's like a simple lasagna for sure. Thanks for the recipe!