Baked Coconut Curry Shrimp

This weeks Friday Foodie Fix is shrimp. Head on over to The W.H.O.L.E Gang to see some very tasty recipes and add your own.

I have to admit that when I read that the secret ingredient this week was shrimp I knew immediately what I wanted to make. Shrimp here are not cheap however so I knew I'd only have one go at it this week, saving it until today. I headed over to Yokes Fresh Market and picked up 6 big shrimp.

When I got home I prepped the shrimp, peeling them (leaving the tails on), de-veining them, cleaning them off and patting them dry. I put the peelings in a ziplock bag and stuck them in the freezer as they'll work well in a broth later on. I was ready to go, oven preheated. This recipe isn't finalized, it needs a bit of tweaking yet, but even so I have to say these were mighty tasty and share worthy. The sauce I whipped up on a whim to accompany them is rather tasty as well and I'll be using it again too!! Please enjoy.



Baked Coconut Curry Shrimp

Ingredients:
6 Big Shrimp
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon fine raw sugar (I used my mortar and pestle)
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
A pinch of salt
1 egg white
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1 to 2 Tablespoons oil

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
In a small bowl beat the egg white slightly, and mix in the curry powder.
On a plate or in a pie plate, mix the coconut, sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
Dunk the shrimp around in the egg white mixture until coated, then cover in the coconut mixture (you may need to press the coconut on to really make it stick.)
Place in an oiled skillet and bake for 10 minutes (I turned them once to assure browning on both sides). Serve.

Curry and Marmalade Mayo

Ingredients:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon orange marmalade
1/4 teaspoon curry powder

Mix ingredients thoroughly and serve with shrimp.




7 comments:

Deborah said...

Am I missing something or are you? What do you do with the egg yolk and curry powder? Thanks!

Babyfro said...

I eat the egg yolk for breakfast the next day. Curry powder gets mixed with the egg white for coating the shrimp before the coconut mix goes on the shrimp(helps it stick).

Deborah said...

Oh! Your first sentence in the recipe must be a typo then. Shouldn't it read... "In a small bowl beat the egg WHITE slightly, and mix in the curry powder." ??? Thanks.

Babyfro said...

Haha, yeah. You're correct!! Thank you.

Diane-The WHOLE Gang said...

This looks amazing! I'm going to have to make this one for sure. My husband would love it. I'm printing it right now so I don't forget. I love shrimp. I always check the seafood department and only buy mine on sale, toss into the freezer until I want to use them. I'm so glad you shared this on Friday Foodie Fix. Thank you!!!!!

Brian said...

Great picture. I nearly forgot about coconut shrimp, it's been so long since I've made it. I like the addition of curry powder, I'll have to try that. Thanks.

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Coconut shrimp ... one of my faves! As you showed, you don't need many to make a meal either. Terrific photo and simple recipe--thanks!

Shirley